PROF. DATO’ ABANG ABDULLAH ABANG ALI
PROF. DATO’ ABANG ABDULLAH ABANG ALI
Tel : 603-8946 6380/7850
Fax : 603-8921 3452
||University of Manchester, United Kingdom|
|- Sarjana Muda
||University of Brighton, United Kingdom|
Research Specialization :
- Structural Engineering
Areas of Interest :
- Structural and Materials Engineering, Affordable Quality Housing; Industrialised Building System and Engineering Education.
Awards & Recognitions :
- Johan Bintang Kenyalang (JBK), (Sarawak State Award) 1998
- CIDB R&D Award for Putra Block Building System. 2002
- MBAM Bronze Medal 2005
- Dato’ Paduka Mahkota Selangor (DPMS), (Selangor State Award) 2008
- Gold Medal for PUTRA BLOCK at the International Exhibition of 2001 Inventions and Innovations, Geneva, Switzerland. 4 April.
- 2002 Load Bearing Hollow Block Building System
- U.S., U.K., Swiss & Malaysian Patent - PUTRA BLOCK – Interlocking
Research Topics :
- A preliminary survey of farm structures in Malaysia
- Low cost materials of construction
- Lightweight concrete using palm oil shell and clinkers
- Utilization of Malaysian Bamboo as an Engineering Material
- Road embankment on soft soil at Tangkak, Johor
- Use of interlocking load-bearing hollow-blocks in housing construction
- National Science Research Council IRPA thrust area: "Materials & Structures"
- Low cost settlement, partially prestressed concrete and building systems
- Development of Industrialised Building System
- Ministry of Housing and Local Government - Interlocking Load bearing Hollow Block Construction
- National Research Programme on Affordable Quality Housing
- Earthquake Resistant Housing Design and Building System, Akademi Sains Malaysia
- Application of Putra Block in Low-cost Housing Construction, BABENA CORP.
- Sustainable Housing Design, KESDEC
Selected Papers :
1 HEJAZI, F, NOORZAEI, J, ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A. & JAAFAR, M.S. (2007). Development of a computational algorithm to restrain lateral movement of buildings subjected to strong earthquake. Regional Conf on Engineering and Disaster Management, Lahore, Pakistan, 20-22 March.
2 ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A. (2007). Engineering excellence in a highly competitive world. Keynote Address, International Engineering Convention, 10-14 March, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Republished in Al-Mohandis, March, Saudi Council of Engineers.
3 BENAYOUNE,A, ABDUL SAMAD, A.A. TRIKHA, D.N., ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A., & Ellinna, S.H.M. (2007). Flexural behaviour of pre-cast concrete sandwich composite panel – experimental and theoretical investigations. Construction and Building Materials.
4 HUAT, B.B.K, MOHAMMED, T.A, ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A., & ABDULLAH, A.A. (2007). Numerical and field study on triangular shell footing for low rise building. International Engineering Convention, 10-14 March, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
5 THANOON, W.A, ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A, & ABBAKER, A.F.E. (2007) Structural behaviour of sandwich panel under combined axial and lateral loading. International Engineering Convention, 10-14 March, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
6 OMAR, M.Z., ZAHARIM,A., NIK MOHAMED, N.A, HARIS, S.M, ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A, & BASRI,H. (2007). Soft skills and engineering graduates in Malaysia: Employers’ perspective. International Engineering Convention, 10-14 March, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
7 AZLAN A.A, JAAFAR, M.S, MEGAT MOHD NOR, M.J, & ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A. (2007). Project based learning in a civil engineering design coursed; A case study of implementation for outcomes. International Engineering Convention, 10-14 March, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
8. HEJAZI,F, NOORZAEI, J, SEIFI, M, JAAFAR, M.S, ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A & THANOO, W.A. (2007). Protection of buildings in vibration excitation. Proc of 3rd World Engineering Congress, Penang. 5-9 August.
9. PEYMAN,G, AZMI, I, JAAFAR, M.S, & ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A. (2007). Performance-based seismic design philosophy incorporating vertical seismic omponent in the near field. Proc of 3rd World Engineering Congress, Penang. 5-9 August.
10. AL-GORAFI, M.A, ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A, JAAFAR, M.S. & OTHMAN, I. (2007). Performance of segmental prestressed concrete bridges under combined stresses: a critical review. Proc of 3rd World Engineering Congress, Penang. 5-9 August.
11. HEJAZI, F, ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A, WALEED, A.T, JAAFAR, M.S. & NOORZAEI, J. (2007). Seismic resistance of frame buildings using effective control system. Proc. of World Housing Congress, 1-5 July, Kuala Trengganu.
12. HEJAZI, F, NOORZAEI, J, ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A. & JAAFAR, M.S. (2007). Optimization of building structures equipped with active variable stiffness system under earthquake excitation. Journal of Structural Engineering, India.
13. ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A. (2007). Frontiers in Engineering: A journey in Creativity, Innovation and Excellence. Keynote Address. 3rd World Engineering Congress., Penang. 5-9 August
14. ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A. (2007). Engineering technology – the way forward. Keynote Address. International Conf on Engineering Technology 2007 (ICET2007), Kuala Lumpur, 11-13 December.
15. J. Noorzaei, S.J.S. Hakim, M.S. Jaafar, A.A. Abang Ali & W.A.M. Thanoon, 2007, An optimal architecture of artificial neural network for predicting compressive strength of concrete. The Indian Concrete Journal, v2007: pp 17.
16. Aziz, A., Noor, M.J.M.M., Ali, A.A.A. and Jaafar, M.S. 2006. A Malaysian Outcome-Based Engineering Education Model. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 1(1):14-21.
17. Benayoune, A., Samad, A.A.A., Trikha, D.N., Abang Ali, A.A. and Ashrabov A.A., 2006. Structural Behaviour of Eccentrically Loaded Precast Sandwich Panels. Construction and Building materials, 20 (2006) 713 – 724.
18. Benayoune, A., Samad, A.A.A., Abang Ali, A.A. and Trikha, D.N., 2006. Response of Pre-Cast Reinforced Composite Sandwich Panels to Axial Loading, Construction and Building materials, 21 (2007) 677-685.
19. Jaafar, M.S., Thanoon, W.A., Najm, A.M.S., Kadir, M.R.A. and Ali, A.A.A. 2006. Strength Correlation between Individual Block, Prism and Basic Wall Panel for Interlocking Mortarless Hollow Block Masonry. Construction and Building Materials, 20(7):492
20. Kadir, M.R.A., Lee, W.P., Jaafar, M.S., Sapuan, S.M. and Ali, A.A.A. 2006. Construction Performance Comparison between Conventional and Industrialized Building System in Malaysia. Structural Survey, 1:24.
21. Zahurul Islam, S.M., Ali, A.A.A. and Jaafar, M.S. 2006. An Investigation on Structural Performance of Profiled Steel Sheet to Develop Self-Supporting Roofing System. Advanced Steel Construction, 2(2006):87-108
22. Kadir, M.R.A., Lee, W.P., Jaafar, M.S., Sapuan, S.M. and Ali, A.A.A. 2005. Factors Affecting Construction Productivity for Malaysian Residential Construction Projects. International Journal of Structural Survey (United Kingdom), 23(1):42-54(13).
23. Kadir, M.R.A., Lee, W.P., Jaafar, M.S., Sapuan, S.M. and Ali, A.A.A. 2005. Performance Comparison between Structural Elements of Building Systems in Malaysia. American Journal of Applied Science, 2(5):1014-1024.
24. ZAHRUL, S.M., ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A. & JAAFAR, M.S.(2005).Structural behaviour of corrugated zincalume thin shell metal elements as a self-supporting roofing element. Fourth International Conference on Advances in Steel structures. pp1463-1470.
25. ABANG ABDULLAH, A.A., (2005). Teachers of engineering and graduate employment: A professional perspective. Regional Conference on Engineering Education 2005. Engineering Education: Meeting the challenges of graduates’ employability. Keynote Address. 12-13 December, Eden Garden Hotel, Johor Bahru.